We came across the presentation below on "mega trends" that impact the IT departments of every company in the world. These trends include Mobile, Social, Cloud, Apps and Big Data.
A number of interesting items that came up, including:
- People who use phones and tablets to access the Internet will outnumber those who use personal computers within two years.
- For almost 30% of Americans, their cell phone is the first thing they look at when they wake up, and the last thing they check before they go to bed.
- YouTube reaches more US adults (from ages 18 through 34) than any cable network.
- Cloud technology will create 14 million jobs by 2015.
- Worldwide IT cloud spending will approach $100 billion by 2016.
- By 2017, 1 in 4 enterprises will have an enterprise app store.
- While the global generation of data is projected to grow 40% per year, global IT spending will only grow a paltry 5% per year.
Like any business, Automation Centre has kept an eye on trends and delivered products to the marketplace in anticipation of emerging demands. In the early 90s, when groupware technology began to coalesce, we released our first software solutions, Tracker Suite for Lotus Notes / Domino and TrackerOffice for Microsoft Outlook / Exchange. These groupware solutions leveraged email platforms in ways no competitors could match.
Like any successful business, we also leverage our experience and stick with what works. Although our current product, TrackerSuite.Net, is 100% Web based, it leverages email as well – users can even surface TrackerSuite.Net within their Microsoft Outlook or IBM Notes client. Microsoft Outlook users can also leverage features including drag-and-drop creation of project tasks, documents and support tickets from emails.
We’re staying on top of trends, as well. TrackerSuite.Net 4.1, our latest release, features specific enhancements for mobile devices, including new forms and navigation tools, that simplify workflow for expense reporting and support ticket creation and management.